Friday, April 17, 2009

Happy Birthday Riley!!

Today is Riley's birthday!! I can't believe he is already a year old. Time goes by so fast it is so hard to remember every little thing that has happened over the last year but we do have some good memories of the pregnancy and of Riley so far.
The day before Riley was born

Minutes after he was born


Riley on his birthday!!

Here is what happened the day he was born:

So on April 17, 2008 it was kind of a stessful day. Jesse had a final exam that morning and I was 3 days overdue. I was measuring bigger than normal and because of having to deal with Gestational Diabetes the doctors were concerned about the size of the baby and that if we waited much longer I would have problems during delivery. So I was induced that day at around noon. I was given a cervidil insert and had to stay at the hospital for 2 hours after. I hadn't dilated at all before the doctor had given it to me. So I stayed at the hospital with a monitor on waiting until they would let me go home. My back started to hurt a bit while I was sitting there and I didn't think anything of it. I was sore off and on the last month so that is all I thought it was. I kept worrying that I wouldn't know when I was having a contraction and the nurse told me she was postitive that I WOULD KNOW when I was having a contraction bad enough to need to come back to the hospital. So sometime around 2pm they let me go home. My back was still hurting. When I got home I didn't feel like doing much so I layed down on the couch and watched a movie with my mom. I had a heating pad on my back because it was really hurting. Jesse left to go and get some groceries. My back started hurting worse and worse and finally I asked my mom what it might be. She told me to time when I was having pain and for how long and how far between when it started again. Then immediately I felt severe pain in my stomach and sides and I timed them and it was every 3 minutes. I was so worried Jesse wouldn't get home in time so we called him and he came home quickly. We went to the hospital and I was dilated to a 5. I was having very bad back labor as they call if when the baby is face up. I remember being scared before about getting an epidural but I was in so much pain that I didn't care. It was such a blessed invention. I was able to relax. About 6-8 hours after I got to the hospital and after the doctor had to turn him (so I wouldn't have to have a C-section) little Riley was born. He was 8 pounds 11 3/4 ounces and 20.5 inches. I remember just staring at him. I couldn't believe he was mine. We had decided before he was born that if he had dark hair his name would be Riley and if he had light hair or no hair at all his name would be Aiden. I really did like that name so much but wer looked at him and he just didn't look like an Aiden at all. Even the nurse said he looked like a Riley. He had lots of hair so I guess the way be decided to name him worked out. It has been a fun year, we have enjoyed being parents and watching him grow and do things. He has learned and changed so much in a year and we love him.


Here are some fun facts about Riley:
-He can walk around furniture and while he is pushing toys but can't quite get the balance to stand all on his own yet.
-He doesn't quite walk yet but almost which is ok with me
-He can crawl very fast
-He loves to watch Baby Einstein movies especially the ones with animals
-He loves toys that have lots of buttons and that sing or make noise
-He loves it when Daddy chases him around the livingroom, he always laughs so hard!
-He loves playing Pattycakes and Peekabo and doing other actions to songs
-He gives hugs and kisses
-He never ever did take a soother but really loves his bottle
-He has such a cute smile and giggle
-He sleeps sooooo well through the night since he was 3 months old! I can only remember 2 or 3 times since that I have had to get up with him in the night and they were all cuz he was sick or teething!
-He loves pulling on cords and when pulling something apart he likes to try and figure out how to put it back together.
-Oh and I can't forget that he likes to rip and eat paper!!
-He hates vegetables-not sure what to do there but we try


We didn't do anything to exciting today other than sing to him and I took him to an indoor playground today with slides and many fun things to crawl on and into. There were also many toys to play with. He had a blast. We are celebrating his birthday tomorrow. His Grandma and Grandpa McMurray will be coming up from Cardston and his Grandma and Grandpa Atwood from Bow Island. They were actually here tonight to have dinner with us. Tomorrow we are going swimming and then having pizza (Riley's favorite food) and then cake. So happy 1st birthday to my sweet little boy.

1 comment: